CVS users section

Trenton D. Adams trenta at athabascau.ca
Mon Apr 6 16:35:03 CDT 2009

You are correct, that does work.  And my original wording was incorrect.  I see the logs of all the files, just not all the revisions in the version tree, of those files.

I searched for "@HEAD" in the book, and I see only one occurrence, and it is not related to "log".  Perhaps a section in the book for "log" differences between CVS and subversion would be helpful.

> > Also, there's a few other issues with log information.  In CVS, I
> only
> > ever had to do a log command on the local copy, to get the log
> > information.  Now, with SVN, you have to use the remote repository
> URL,
> > such as "svn log svn+ssh://somehost/home/svn/repo/blah_project", to
> get
> > all of the logs for that project.  Again, I think that's a
> regression,
> > but it should probably be mentioned in the book.
>
> Sorry, but as reported, this isn't true.  I would encourage you to hop
> over
> to users at subversion.tigris.org and see how your understanding of 'svn
> log'
> compares with reality.  Maybe you are hitting one of the common traps
> that
> new Subversion users tend to fall into?  If you find that you are,
> please
> report back here with what you learn, and we can see about pointing
> out
> those traps a little more clearly in the book.

Oh, I think I understand now.  What I was trying to say, is that I wasn't seeing all the logs of all revisions, when logging on the local copy.  But, seeing that it's a revision tree, I shouldn't see all revision logs, just the ones that pertain to the current tree.  So, if I checked out the main branch, where trunk, branches, and tags reside, an "svn . at HEAD" would display the same thing as "svn log svn+ssh://somehost/home/svn/repo/blah_project".  With CVS it was different because the revisions were on files, not directory trees.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> |
> http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/