Issue 58 in svnbook: plain password authentication with Apache

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Aug 16 06:49:15 CDT 2009

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 58 by agriniuk: plain password authentication with Apache
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=58

Hi, I've been reading about the setting up the password-base authentication
with Apache as a server (as described on this page: http://svnbook.red-
bean.com/en/1.5/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html), and I spent half a night
trying
to make it work..
The problem was that for some reason Apache was not finding the user file,
and
printing errors in the log like:
... configuration error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: ...

finally I've found the solution. The problem was with the configuration API
changes of Apache/2.2.11 (Unix). To make it work I had to have the following
in the httpd.conf file:

<Location /svn>
     DAV svn
     SVNPath /home/svn

     AuthName "Subversion repository"
#NOTICE THIS LINE
     AuthType Basic
     AuthBasicProvider file
     AuthUserFile /home/svn/conf/apache-auth-file

     <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
         Require valid-user
     </LimitExcept>
</Location>
#AND LOADING OF THE 3 MODULES
LoadModule   auth_basic_module        modules/mod_auth_basic.so
LoadModule   authn_file_module        modules/mod_authn_file.so
LoadModule   authz_user_module        modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule   authz_host_module        modules/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule   dir_module               modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule   dav_module               modules/mod_dav.so