work-in-progress tree conflicts diff, please comment

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Thu Jan 8 07:51:19 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 01:04:38PM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> But next, I think it would be better in the main flow of text to
> describe only how tree conflicts work in Subversion 1.6, and not assume
> that readers have started with v1.5 and are interested in the
> differences. For those readers (and there will be many, of course) I
> would put some "comparison with v1.5" notes in a side-bar.

Yes. I've done so, thanks. See r3399.

> > +      <para>Since Subversion 1.6, this and other similar situations
> > +        are flagged as conflicts in the working copy. As with textual
> > +        conflicts, tree conflicts prevent a commit from being made
> > +        from the conflicted state, forcing the user to examine the
>
> Perhaps saying "giving the user the opportunity" instead of "forcing",
> since (a) it gives a better impression and (b) the user does indeed have
> the option of doing a recursive "accept=X" to avoid examining the
> problems.

Yes.  Changed this, too. We also used 'force' with respect to textual
conflicts in the first paragraph of this section. Because I could
not find a better way to phrase it there ("giving the opportunity"
sounds a bit weak in case of text conflicts), I've added a footnote
which says:

  Well, you could mark files containing conflict markers as resolved
  and commit them, if you really wanted to. But this is rarely done
  in practice.

Thanks Julian,
Stefan