O'Reilly's German Svnbook and our efforts...

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Thu May 21 09:53:14 CDT 2009

This is the second time O'Reilly has done this.

The first time they published a German translation,

  1) they didn't tell anyone about it at all (even the authors were surprised)

  2) the translation claimed to be "2nd edition" of the book, even
though the authors were *still working* on the actual 2nd edition.

We were quite furious, and when we chatted with our editor they
apologized and basically told us, "sorry, the O'Reilly office in
Germany just seems to do whatever they want, without coordinating with
the rest of us."

So, it looks like the German office surprised everybody again.  :-/