O'Reilly's German Svnbook and our efforts...

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Wed May 20 11:34:27 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 05:57:54PM +0200, Jens M. Felderhoff wrote:
> Today I found the 3rd German edition of "Versionskontrolle mit
> Subversion" at a local bookstore (ISBN 9783897218970) published by
> O'Reilly Verlag, Köln Germany.
>
> The translators are Kathrin Lichtenberg and Thomas Demmig. It is also
> published under the Creative Commons license, so we may simply copy the
> remaining chapters from the book ;-)

Interesting. Have you contacted the translators about this?

> I'll continue to translate the online version.

Thanks!

Maybe you could ask O'Reilly for the sources of the book they
published, so you won't have to copy the translation from paper?

> However, I think it's a bad thing that O'Reilly didn't tell us anything
> about it and, even worse, that they do not share the source code of the
> book by committing to our repository!

Yes, it's kind of against the spirit of open source.
Then again, the sources of the book are free, so we can't blame
them for breaking any rules. We can just blame them for not being
considerate of your efforts.

Stefan