French translation

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Sep 25 12:35:11 CDT 2009

Sub Versif wrote:
> Indeed, I'm happy to report that one of the attempts to get a French
> translation going has finally taken off !

Great!

> Now, we'd like to move this to Docbook format and make it available in
> html and pdf, along with the other translations, from the subversion
> book website, if that's possible.
> Could there be a fr folder created in the google code repository ?

Absolutely!

> What are the requirements to get write permission to it ?

project members.  I or someone else should be able to take care of that.

> Short term goal would be to finish the 1.5 version (which will require
> adding text formatting, translating pictures, and completing chapter 9).
> Then, merge in all changes, and follow the releases path, starting with 1.6.
>
> A couple more questions :
> - would anybody have a suggestion for a good docbook editor for Ubuntu
> 9.04 (better than jedit) ?

*Shrug*  Emacs works fine for me.  :-)  Are you familiar with the build
processes that the other translations use?  Will that work out for your
translation, too?

> - I could not find the source files for the pictures of figures used in
> the book, except some (but not all) xcf files in the norwegian (nb)
> folder. Are the master files stored in a specific location ?

Unfortunately, we don't have the sources for the nice-looking images.  Those
were done by O'Reilly and donated back as raster images only.  It be really
cool if we could reconstruct that work in new SVG images, though.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/