Issue 102 in svnbook: svnserve as a windows service under cygwin

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Mon Oct 18 09:29:47 CDT 2010

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium

New issue 102 by spamboun... at gmx.de: svnserve as a windows service under
cygwin
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=102

When trying to start the cygwin version of svnserve as a windows service as
described in this book, I got the apparently ubiquitous timeout error 1053.
After much googling and MSDN reading, I finally realised that it was not a
windows service problem, but rather because windows service support isn't
built into the cygwin version of svnserve. I found out by typing svnserve
--help, which didn't list the --service option.

The obvious workaround of course is to use a different build of svnserve
which supports running as service. The not so obvious solution is to use
cygrunsrv to start the service, eg:

  % cygrunsrv --install svnserve \
      --path /usr/bin/svnserve \
      --args '-d --foreground -r /c/temp/svn-test' \
      --dep Tcpip
      --user someuser

I got this solution on the cygwin forum, please read the rationale and more
explanation here:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg112607.html

I realise this is not a SVN problem as such, yet it might save a couple of
people a couple of hours to include this hint in the SVN book.