Issue 94 in svnbook: Document that svn:externals update behaves differently within and outside imported directory

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Mon Sep 6 07:50:43 CDT 2010

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 94 by gaff... at live.com: Document that svn:externals update
behaves differently within and outside imported directory
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=94

Version Control with Subversion
For Subversion 1.6
(Compiled from r3774)
The section "Advanced Topics" -> "Externals Definitions"

The following behaviour should be better documented:

The effect of an "svn update" command on a directory imported using the
svn:externals property is dependent upon whether the command is given
outside of, or within, the imported directory.
If the update command is given outside of the imported directory, the
imported directory is updated to the version given in the svn:externals
definitions.  If the update command is given withing the imported
directory, the imported directory is updated to its head version.

That is, if you have an svn:external with the value "-r57 <path to source
in some other repository> my_import" and you do an "svn update" within
my_import, what you will get is the head version of that directory in the
source repository.

Please describe the problem you found.  Try to avoid referring to "page
numbers", as those are subject to change over time.  If you need to, quote
the book paragraph(s) that are incorrect, and recommend corrections.