Issue 93 in svnbook: Merges and Moves has error

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Mon Sep 6 16:36:19 CDT 2010

Comment #1 on issue 93 by lucasrangit: Merges and Moves has error
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=93

I agree with the reporter; the sentence should read "The net effect is that
merging your “rename” to the trunk has removed Sally's recent changes from
the latest revision!"

However, I find confusion to be caused by the fact that this section does
not follow the SVN Book's best practice of merging all trunk changes before
reintegrating the branch. If this example recommended that the developer
first merge with the latest trunk before merge reintegrating with the trunk
the merge of the trunk rHEAD into the branch would have changed a deleted
file and generated a conflict or some other signal to the branch developer
that care is needed to prevent data loss.

Therefore, I recommend that this example be rewritten to perform the
recommended updating of the branch with the latest trunk changes so that
the issue caused by the rename can be handled in the branch and thus appear
less like a surprise or a failure of Subversion.