Issue 114 in svnbook: Consider re-adding pre-merge-tracking examples

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Mon Mar 28 09:51:46 CDT 2011

Owner: cmpil... at gmail.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium Milestone-en-1.6

New issue 114 by cmpil... at gmail.com: Consider re-adding pre-merge-tracking
examples
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=114

User Chris Jonck <chris.johnk at gmail.com> notes the following in mail sent
to svnbook-dev@:

{{{
In the svn 1.4 version of the book, the documentation of the merge
command includes an example of merging trunk changes into a branch to
keep the branch current with mainline development:

svn merge -r 23:30 file:///tmp/repos/trunk/vendors

This is an incredibly useful example, as it clarifies that when doing
this sort of merge, you want to specify the range of revisions on
trunk whose changes you wish to merge.
}}}

After some questioning, it was revealed that Chris' repository's trunk
had "a long, complicated revision history before the branch was even
created."  While merge tracking should have alleviated Chris' need for this
sort of explicit-revision-range merge, 'svn merge' without a revision range
was, for some reason, trying to merge revisions from way too far back in
history -- pre-branch-creation.

I suspect that there is some good explanation for the problems Chris saw
that is related to that complicated history he refers too.  But regardless,
there is some value to the idea that we might wish the book to explicitly
state the pre-merge-tracking way of doing these merges, if only because
sometimes reality isn't as pretty as theory.