re-rolling PDFs and HTML archives of version "1.6" of book withot changing file names

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Tue Nov 1 09:40:21 CDT 2011

On 10/31/2011 05:02 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> While FreeBSD mirrors could host their own fixed versions of the book,
> it would be a great service for them and others if we made stable
> versions available for download. This problem does not only affect
> FreeBSD, but any OS providing the book via installable packages.
>
> Does red-bean have enough space to keep the latest N builds of the
> book available? FreeBSD has a distfiles mirror to protect against
> distfiles disappearing from the upstream site. If we kept, say, the
> last 50 builds of the book ready for download, with the revision number
> in the name of the tarball, it would fix the problem for FreeBSD and
> other packagers, preventing them from having to roll their own fixed
> distribution tarball of the book for their users to install from.
> By the time the 50th build of the book disappears from red-bean, it will
> already be mirrored on the entire FreeBSD distfiles mirror infrastructure.

Red-bean probably does have the space, but I'd prefer not to engineer a
solution to something that I can't convince myself is actually a problem.

Why would a distributor need to roll their own tarball?  Just grab the
latest from the stable red-bean URL, rename the thing with the datestamp at
which your grabbed it, upload it to your dist server (just as you would
after having built binaries of Subversion), point your distribution metadata
at it, and be done with it.  If you do that, then there's one tarball on
your server that is known to be useful to an entire large body of users,
instead of 50 of them sitting on red-bean for which 90%+ of them are
disinteresting and unreferenced by anything.

(I'm sure I'm coming across like a total jerk.  That's honestly not my
intent, and I'm trusting you know me better than that, Stefan.)

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/