patch or svn patch

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Mon Oct 31 07:46:38 CDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 07:37:15AM -0400, Richard Cavell wrote:
> >> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 05:53:35AM -0400, Richard Cavell wrote: >> In chapter 2, in the section entitled: >> >> Examine the details of your local modifications >> >> There is some text about the fact that the output of svn diff is compatible with the >patch program. Now that svn has a patch subcommand, is it necessary to update this text to >recommend the use of svn patch in some circumstances, or in all cases? >Yes. 'svn patch' should be preferred over a third-party patch >implementation in all cases.
>  I surmised as much. Could someone else write it? I'm not familiar with svn patch. I mean, I guess no one is familiar with it yet but it should come from someone who understands the implementation.

The book already contains a reference page about 'svn patch'
which also has some examples:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svn.c.patch.html

I suppose we could start by linking to this page from more pages?
This page already links there:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.html