svnversion documentation bug in the redbook

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Fri Jan 20 09:18:17 CST 2012

Hi,

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.ref.svnversion.re.html states:

> If invoked on a directory that is not a working copy, svnversion
> assumes it is an exported working copy and prints "exported":
>
> $ svnversion
> exported

However, calling svnversion.exe 1.7.2 (r1207936), installed by the TortoiseSVN 64 Bit installer, outputs the message "Unversioned directory":

> D:\>svnversion
> Unversioned directory

I did not test with older svn versions, as I have no older version available here right now, but this may be either a documentation bug or inaccuracy, or it also might be an incompatible change which is likely to break some scripts relying on the documented behaviour.

On the subversion users list, I was asked to send this issue to svnbook at red-bean.com.

Best regards

Markus Schaber
--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915