Russian translation

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Tue Jun 26 10:18:15 CDT 2012

As you noted, the last Russian translation of the book is very, very old.
To my knowledge, no one is working on a more up-to-date translation.

I see the translation challenge as two-fold.

First, there's the social/workforce challenge.  Are you willing and able to
tackle this task alone, or do you have some friends willing to help you?
The COMMITTERS file
(https://code.google.com/p/svnbook/source/browse/trunk/COMMITTERS) lists the
names and email addresses of the last known Russian translators.  You might
consider contacting that group to see if any of them are interested in
helping you with this task.

Secondly, there's the nuts-and-bolts of the translation work.  The book is
written in DocBook XML, then compiled into the various formats published on
the website (HTML, PDF, etc.)  Different groups have approached the
translation task in different ways in the past.  Most start by making a copy
of the most recent stable English book sources, and work against those
(rather than trying to keep up with the moving target that is "trunk/en").
Some perform the translation inline, commenting out the original English XML
one paragraph at a time and substituting matching translated paragraphs.
Others have taken a last direct route, converting to book sources to PO
format, and using translation tables to accomplish their task.  You and your
team will need to decide which approach works best for you.

Please let me know how I can assist you.  When you have a plan of attack
formulated, I can grant you the required commit access.

-- Mike