Book

John Maher JohnM at rotair.com
Fri Sep 14 07:38:12 CDT 2012

Hello
I found something in the book that was rather confusing and caused me
some problems.  It talks about the revision numbers applying to entire
trees.  A tree can be defined several ways and the book doesn't define
one at all.  If you talk about a repository, a tree and a file this can
lead someone to believe there are several trees in a repository (trunk,
branch, ect) which is not the case for revision numbers.  To be clear it
would be better to call it a repository tree or better yet the
repository tree or something similar.  I know this is a common problem
because when I asked for help from the mailing list they replied:
"Note that the "tree" being talked about there is not an individual
branch, but all nodes in the repository, including the /trunk directory
and the /branches/feature directory."
They know exactly the problem I was having probably because they have
been asked the same question several times.  I know what it means now
but I would bet that a future reader will not.

Original:
Global Revision Numbers
Unlike most version control systems, Subversion's revision numbers apply
to entire trees, not individual files.

Better:
Global Revision Numbers
Unlike most version control systems, Subversion's revision numbers apply
to the entire repository tree, not individual files.

Thanks
John