Farewell to Google Code ... now where?

Pavel Lyalyakin pavel.lyalyakin at visualsvn.com
Tue Mar 17 05:23:24 CDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Jens M. Felderhoff <j.m.f at gmx.li> wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 21:09 +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>
>> Github is ok with me. Since it supports SVN we don't even need to use git :)
>>

> Is it really a full-fledged svn client or a limited frontend to git?

In short: the repository will be converted to git and the support for
SVN clients GitHub provides is limited. I don't like the idea of
moving to GitHub.

Note that the feature is advertised as just "Support for Subversion
clients" https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/
and as far as I understand, it's just a fronted (or a bridge,
whatever) implemented using `git svn`
http://git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-and-Other-Systems-Git-and-Subversion.

I understand that the approach Google suggests (using an automated
GitHub exporter) is the fastest and easiest one, but I'm sure that we
should consider it only after all the other options. Google Code is
going to become read-only in August 2015 so we have enough time to
carefully consider other options.

> What about the ASF it also hosts Subversion itself, why not the book?

My thoughts exactly. Is there a way we can move SVNBook project to ASF
or even to Subversion repository? I don't know what about issue tracker,
though. Right now there are 24 open issues of out 223.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin