suggestion for "Sparse Directories"

Pavel Lyalyakin pavel.lyalyakin at visualsvn.com
Tue May 24 14:22:27 CDT 2016

Hello David,

I ran into one confusion when trying to implement the ideas described in
> the sparse directories chapter - svn.advanced.sparsedirs.html
>
> I did not know that under svn it is not possible to use update to set the
> depth of any directory that was not the child of an existing one in the
> working copy.
>

> Thus
>
> svn checkout file:///var/svn/repos mom-empty --depth empty
>
> svn update --set-depth infinity mom-empty/daughter/granddaughter1
>
> Have you tried adding `--parents`
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.ref.svn.html#svn.ref.svn.sw.parents>
to this command line? E.g. run
[[[
svn update --parents --set-depth infinity mom-empty/daughter/granddaughter1
]]]]

I guess that this way Subversion client add the parent directories to the
working copy and you won't need to add them manually.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway. Maybe it makes sense to mention
`--parents` in this SVNBook section. :)

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin