I want to translate the book "Version Control with Subversion" into Vietnamese

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Sat Oct 8 22:53:26 CDT 2016

Chinh Do,

I would suggest that you first read the README file that's in your branch
directory.  It explains the basic tooling that you need to compile/build
the DocBook XML source files into various output formats (HTML, PS, PDF,
etc.).

As for "best practices", I've honestly never done a translation myself, so
I'm not sure what to suggest.  My fellow authors and I composed the book as
XML, using text editors such as Emacs and hand-formatting everything.
There are a couple of other translators for different languages on this
list, though -- perhaps they can/will chime in?

One thing that does appear to be common to at least both the German (de)
and French (fr) translations is that they translate one block at a time (a
<para>...</para> paragraph, for example), commenting out the original
English and then adding their translated block after it.  Checkout
^/branches/1.8/de or ^/branches/1.8/fr to see what I mean.  You'll find
stuff like this:

<!-- -*- sgml -*- -->

<chapter id="svn.basic">
<!--
  <title>Fundamental Concepts</title>
-->
  <title>Notions fondamentales</title>

<!--
  <para>This chapter is a short, casual introduction to Subversion and
    its approach to version control.  We begin with a discussion of
    general version control concepts, work our way into the specific
    ideas behind Subversion, and show some simple examples of
    Subversion in use.</para>
-->
  <para>Ce chapitre est une introduction rapide à Subversion et de son
    approche de la gestion de versions. Nous allons commencer par une
    présentation des notions générales de la gestion de versions, puis
    étudier plus précisément les idées particulières qui se cachent
    derrière Subversion et enfin donner quelques exemples simples
    d'utilisation de Subversion.</para>

That's, unfortunately, about the only suggestion I can make.

-- Mike