What the meaning of "working-copy-less"

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Sun Jul 28 02:31:33 CDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 01:39:05PM +0800, wuzhouhui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm translating the svnmucc reference of svnbook-1.8, and one sentence
> says:
>
> > It is also able to perform working-copy-less file content and
> > versioned property modifications, which is functionality not currently
> > offered by svn.
>
> I don't understand the meaning of "working-copy-less" in above sentence,
> could you explaine it for me?
>
> wuzhouhui

The 'svnmucc put' command can modify file content and 'svnmucc propset'
can modify versioned properties such as svn:externals. svnmucc works
directly on a server-side transaction so no working copy is required
in order to commit such changes with svnmucc.

The regular svn client can only make such modifications by first
checking out a working copy, then modifying files and properties
within this working copy, and then running 'svn commit' (which then
uses a server-side transaction like svnmucc is using).

Regards,
Stefan