[svnbook:tickets] Ticket 187 discussion

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 2 14:26:19 UTC 2022

As I read this, I believe the OP is *not* suggesting that Subversion behaves any differently than the book describes, but rather that the text misrepresents NTFS as not having a notion of an executable permission bit.  Unfortunately, the proposed fix causes a *different* confusion by allowing an NTFS-knowledgeable person to assume that Subversion will set that bit on NTFS (which, of course, it does not).

Perhaps the text could be changed to read instead:

> This property has no effect on Windows or on filesystems that have no concept of an executable permission bit (such as FAT32).

?

---

** [tickets:#187] svn:executable property on Windows filesystems does have an effect**

**Status:** New
**Milestone:** whenever
**Created:** Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 AM UTC by Anonymous
**Last Updated:** Thu Dec 23, 2021 04:17 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

*Originally created by:* [spt5... at gmail.com](http://code.google.com/u/109856940282443811731/)

See Advanced Topics->File Portability->File Executability

This property has no effect on filesystems that have no concept of an executable permission bit, such as FAT32 and NTFS.\[17\]

There is, indeed, a notion of executable permission bit on NTFS. I found this out the hard way. I suggest the following rewording:

This property has no effect on filesystems that have no concept of an executable permission bit, such as FAT32.\[17\]

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because svnbook-dev at red-bean.com is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/svnbook/tickets/