[svnbook:tickets] Ticket 187 discussion

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 3 13:49:25 UTC 2022

I still have a lingering nag here.  I assumed the executable bit was a feature of the filesystem, not of the OS.  Yet, "system calls" are a feature of the OS.

It's common to have, say, a FAT32 volume mounted in Linux.  But does the reverse occur, where an ext3 filesystem is mounted in Windows?  It sounds like APR won't try to set an executable bit on such a filesystem.

What about network filesystems?  Will APR preserve the executable bit on, say, an NFS mount when accessed via Windows?

---

** [tickets:#187] svn:executable property on Windows filesystems does have an effect**

**Status:** New
**Milestone:** whenever
**Created:** Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 AM UTC by Anonymous
**Last Updated:** Sun Jan 02, 2022 04:15 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

*Originally created by:* [spt5... at gmail.com](http://code.google.com/u/109856940282443811731/)

See Advanced Topics->File Portability->File Executability

This property has no effect on filesystems that have no concept of an executable permission bit, such as FAT32 and NTFS.\[17\]

There is, indeed, a notion of executable permission bit on NTFS. I found this out the hard way. I suggest the following rewording:

This property has no effect on filesystems that have no concept of an executable permission bit, such as FAT32.\[17\]

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because svnbook-dev at red-bean.com is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/svnbook/tickets/