observations on "Vendor Branches"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 13 11:52:25 CDT 2005

  probably just me being dense but when i first read the section
"Vendor Branches", i had to go back and re-read it a couple of times
more, still thinking, "i don't get it -- why is it such a complicated
production to do something that should be straightforward?  just merge
the differences between the two versions into the local code and ...
oh."

  what i missed the first couple of times was that that section was
explaining how to manage vendor branches for software that isn't
*already* under subversion control, which of course would be fairly
easy.

  it would have been more obvious (at least for me) if that section
had been written in two subsections:

  1) if the software is already under subversion control (easy)
  2) if the software is only available in, say, tarball form,
	at which point the rest of that section kicks in.

does that make sense?

rday