more svn book pedantry

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Sat Aug 6 18:47:31 CDT 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> ch 1:
>
> "Installing Subversion"
>
> - perhaps showing my ignorance of svn architecture, but is the APR
> portability layer required if one is not using apache for repository
> access, but svnserve instead?

Yes, it provides all the fundamental APIs for all of Subversio:  disk
i/o, network i/o, and so on.  It just also happens to do the same for
Apache.

> the first line of that section
> *strongly* suggests a requirement for httpd which, strictly speaking,
> isn't required.

Fixed, thanks.

> "Subversion's Components"
>
> - it's not clear what the purpose of this list is.  naturally, you're
> not going to list every component that comes with subversion, so it
> makes sense to list only those that readers would appreciate at this
> point.

Well, actually, no, it's supposed to be a complete list of a every
subversion binary that's considered part of subversion.  The
libraries aren't all enumerated, but the programs are.  The point is
to give a high-level overview of every svn-program that a user or
administrator might want to run or install.

> "A Quick Start"
>
> - not to belabour this (well, ok, let's belabour it), i think the
> point about svn not having a "project" belongs more appropriately in a
> "note" or "important" box.

I'm not sure about that.  The cost of making a box is that it breaks
up the flow of the section pretty severely.  I think it might be more
important to keep the reader's attention by having the 'quickstart'
section be as short and readable as possible.

> with an additional note that you'll
> continue to refer to "projects" but that, when you do, it just means
> some subdirectory of a repository.

Thanks, I fixed this.