Idea: Moving sections 'Undoing changes' and 'Resurrecting deleted items'

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Jun 3 14:18:30 CDT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Agree mostly, but "how do I undo..." is becoming a rather common
> question.

At the basest level, the undoing of changes is as simple as the doing of
changes -- you add, delete, and modify files and directories.  So people
with a modicrum of sense aren't really asking, "How do I undo changes?"
because that's like asking "How do I do changes?".  They're asking, "How
do I get Subversion to automatically do all this work for me?"  That's
an advanced, not a basic, topic.

> How about an additional section in "Ch3 -> Other Useful Commands",
> which just points out that undoing changes is actually a form of
> merging, and suggests that people not skip over chapter 4 just because
> they don't intend to work with branches at the moment?

This is acceptable to me.

> I get the feeling that people simply aren't finding the existing Ch4
> section on undoing changes, because they don't mentally associate it
> with branching or merging.

If people aren't finding the Ch. 4 section, it's because they've
forgotten how to use search tools or how to read a Table of Contents.  :-)