[Suggestion] In-place 'import'

Brett Hunt bhunt at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 14 11:30:27 CST 2005

I'm sure you're probably tired of hearing suggestions, but this one
stumped me for a bit and I thought it would be a useful addition to the
Quickstart section and to Chapter 3, the section on Import.

A common problem/desire is to add an existing project to version
control.  Many of the users that I support are tripped up by the fact
that an SVN (and CVS for that matter) import puts files into the
repository but does not put their working directory under version
control.  From the SVN FAQ page (http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html),
there is a way to convert a working directory into a version controlled
project.  The FAQ item is "How can I do an in-place 'import' (i.e. add a
tree of unversioned files to subversion, and convert the original tree
into a working copy)?"
(http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#in-place-import).  With some
explanation, an example, and maybe an explanation of a command to do a
bulk addition of all files recursively, I think it would make a very
useful addition to the book.

This is an great book.  "Open Source Development with CVS" was excellent
and is why I'm reading this one.

Thanks,
Brett