Suggestion for http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch03s04.html

Stefan Lasiewski stefan at stefanco.com
Sun Mar 6 23:13:29 CST 2005

--- Max Bowsher <maxb at ukf.net> wrote:

> Stefan Lasiewski wrote:
>
> > This checks out the SVN repository into the local
> > directory ./trunk. Is that what you intended?
> >
> > Shouldn't we be checking the code into a directory
> > like ./svn instead, like this:
> >
> > svn checkout http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
>
> That command would check out a copy of the trunk, a
> copy of every active
> branch and a copy of every tag of subversion! I.e.,
> that would be many many
> megabytes. I'm pretty sure that's not what you
> really want to do.
>
> Max.

You're right.

I was just confused by having a directory named
'trunk' in my current working directory, with no
obvious attachment to the 'svn' project locally. It'll
be obvious over time, but I can see the 'trunk'
confusing alot of people.

Maybe something that like this would be less
confusing:

  svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
svn/trunk

or