stabilizing our URLs

Max Bowsher maxb at ukf.net
Thu May 5 12:04:12 CDT 2005

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> maxb has a good suggestion.  He thinks that as we finish svn 1.1
> documentation, we create new sections with descriptive, rather than
> numeric, id-tags.   Then, when svn 1.1 docwork is finished and tagged,
> we do the great "id switchover" before starting the svn 1.2
> documentation.  Stored urls will need to be updated anyway, and once we
> have the new id-sytem in place, we can publish the 'latest' urls.

Fleshing out my proposal:

IDs to remain unchanged:

svn-foreword
svn-copyright
svn-colophon

svn-ch-0 -> svn-preface
svn-ch-1 -> svn-intro
svn-ch-2 -> svn-basic
svn-ch-3 -> svn-tour
svn-ch-4 -> svn-branchmerge
svn-ch-5 -> svn-reposadmin
svn-ch-6 -> svn-serverconfig
svn-ch-7 -> svn-advanced
svn-ch-8 -> svn-developer
svn-ch-9 -> svn-ref
svn-ap-a -> svn-forcvs
svn-ap-b -> svn-tshoot
svn-ap-c -> svn-webdav
svn-ap-d -> svn-3rdparty

<sect1>, <sect2>, and <sect3> IDs take forms like these:

svn-preface-audience
svn-preface-howread
svn-preface-conventions
svn-preface-conventions-typo
svn-preface-conventions-icons
svn-preface-organization
svn-preface-free
svn-preface-acks
svn-preface-acks-sussman
svn-preface-acks-fitz
svn-preface-acks-cmpilato
svn-preface-new1.1

Diagrams, tables, and examples, which are currently IDed as:

<parent-chapter-id>-dia|table|ex-<number>

will accept the change to their parent chapter id, and change the number to
a descriptive word similar to those illustrated above.

I'm hoping that the process can be somewhat automated, potentially using
XSLT, to avoid any danger of messed up links.

Max.

Max.