[svnbook commit] r1750 - trunk/src/en/book

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Tue Oct 25 12:02:43 CDT 2005

On 10/24/05, C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> wrote:

>   Standalone applications
>  Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, ...
>   Explorer extensions
>  Webfolders, Nautilus, ...
>   Filesystem implementations
>  Mac OS X, ...
>
> That's fine. It ain't like there's so many of these things listed that the
> application names need to be the "keys" into the table -- a quick vgrep does
> the trick.

I'm not sure I agree. When a table is presented, it's the 'keys' that are
the things being looked up. My original motivation for the table was to help
people quickly answer the question: "I'm using <blah> software, what sort of
DAV abilities does it have?" By ordering the table as you do above, you're
answering a different question: "what apps use DAV implementation <blah>?"
And I don't think that's a common question. People don't walk into this
chapter knowing about the different sorts of DAV implementations, so they're
not likely to ask that question (even if they've just read the
implementation definitions).

The reason I used applications as keys was because I think it follows a more
natural progression of questioning:

I have application <blah> which is supposed to do DAV. What can it do?
--> answer: look at table.
Hm, this application has a <blah> DAV implementation. What does that mean?
--> answer: look at definition of implementation.