Dutch translation

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Mon Apr 3 11:14:17 CDT 2006

Erik van der Kolk wrote:
> I would like to translate the SVN-book into Dutch. Do I need to do
> anything special to create an nl directory and add some special files?
> Or can I just edit the DocBook XML sources and place them in the nl
> directory?
> Thanks in advance.

First, Erik, cool that you wanna do a Dutch translation.  Here's the way a
new translation generally goes down (I'll use "you" to mean "the person
asking about, and claiming interest in, starting a new translation"):

  * We ask that you find a partner to work with, to lessen the chances
    that yours will be a drive-by translation attempt that never actually
    finishes.

  * At this point in the past, I think we asked for a demonstration that
    work is actually getting done.  You and your teammates send patches
    or point somehow to the beginnings of the translation work.  I'm
    thinking now that that's just a pain for all involved.  So perhaps
    we'll start skipping that step.

  * We'll grant partial commit access to your team to the svnbook
    repository.

  * We recommend that you, using Subversion, copy the latest stable tag
    of the English translation to the work area for your language.  We
    hope to finish up 1.2 in a couple of weeks, so that will mean
    something like this:

       $ svn cp http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/tags/en-1.2-final/src/en \
                http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/nl \
                -m "Create new baseline for Dutch translation."

  * We make a copy of www/index.en.html (to www/index.nl.html), which
    your team is also responsible for translating and keeping up-to-date
    with the index.en.html file.  There is a section of that page on
    which you can relate to the Universe the status of your translation
    progress, ask for volunteers to help you, etc.

Off-topic:  At some point, I'd like to drop this list (edited for
correctness and completeness) into a file under our /www area, and then have
index.en.html, in its Translations section, refer folks who want to start a
new translation to this new document.  But there's a good chance Max B. will
blink and all of that will happen automagically as a result, so I'm not
motivated to do the work right now.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton