how to build our branch?

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Thu Dec 21 21:32:40 CST 2006

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Right before leaving on vacation, I checked out our reorg branch
> (which wasn't yet different from trunk.)  As our README file
> instructed, (1) I dropped the docbook-xsl package into tools/ , (2) I
> made sure I had 'xsltproc' installed, (3) installed FOP and Jimi.  As
> expected, running 'make book-html' or 'make book-pdf' Just Worked.
>
> Today I updated the branch, and got all of cmike's huge changes.  Now
> when I try to build, I seem to be missing tools and/or am getting hit
> by assumptions about things in /usr/share/xml/...
>
> [sussman at BenMacBook:~/projects/svnbook/src/en]$ make book-html
> if ! test -e "../tools/xsl"; then ../tools/bin/find-xsl.py; fi
> xsltproc  --output book/svn-book.html \
>   `[ -d stylesheets ] && echo stylesheets || echo
> ../tools`/html-stylesheet.xsl book/book.xml
> ../tools/dtd/docbook-4.4/dbcentx.mod:308: warning: failed to load
> external entity
> "/usr/share/xml/entities/xml-iso-entities-8879.1986/ISOamsa.ent"
>
> ...followed by a bazillion errors about 'unknown' entities such as mdash.
>
> So, what new tools do I need?  Can we update our README accordingly?

You shouldn't need new tools.  There must be some path references in the
DTD set that aren't relative or somesuch.  Lemme take a look.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton