Japanese Translation of SVNBook Top page

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Tue Feb 21 09:30:17 CST 2006

Tetsuto Teddy Nishiyama (Home) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to inform the list that I have made a Japanese
> translation of the SVNBook top page so I would like to
> submit it for review and upload to red-bean.com upon
> approval.
>
> Since I wasn't sure how to submit this, I have for the
> time being placed the translation here for viewing.
>
> http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~nnishi/subversion/index.jp.html

That's a fine way to submit it.  Are you offering to maintain the page
as well?  If so, please let me know your preferred username (nnishi?)
and I'll hook you up with commit access to the repository.

The page looks good (to a guy who doesn't understand a lick of
Japanese).  One other thing we'll need is the correct HTML to put at the
bottom of all the *other* translations of index.en.html for linking to
the Japanese version.  You could provide those bits via email, or if you
wish, you can add them yourself to the respective HTML files once you
have commit access.

> A few things:
>
> 1) This translation has gone through 3 review cycles by
>    the Japanese Subversion discussion list.

Excellent.

> 2) You will notice that the title "Version Control with Subversion"
>    looks like "Subversion Version Control with" in Japanese and
>    the "Version Control with" part is below the main "Subversion".
>    This is due to Japanese grammar.  Also, related to this, we
>    (meaning the Japanese list) feel that it looks more natural if
>    the text is aligned right instead of left.  Would it be possible
>    for the author(s) to add perhaps a "title3" that is aligned right
>    to the stylesheet?

Sure -- no problem there.  So, title3 is just title1 with
right-alignment, yes?

> 3) The link for the Japanese translation of SVNBook is for now pointing
>    to Tez Kamihira's page.  I have initiated discussions on the Japanese
>    list and have generated interest in eventually moving the translation
>    to red-bean.com as an official translation.  We have a guy who is
>    willing to take over as lead translator and have atleast two reviewers.
>    His name is Noritada Kobayashi and is the translator who provided ja.po
>    for Subversion
>    We're just waiting for him to finish his graduate school thesis.
>    So until he returns to the list, I have listed Tez's translation as
>    an "unofficial" translation.

Very cool.  Thanks, Teddy.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton