Website page character sets (was Re: Japanese Translation of SVNBook Top page)

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Wed Feb 22 08:55:29 CST 2006

Tetsuto Teddy Nishiyama (Home) wrote:
> Actually, I thought this would come up so I provided the code as a
> comment in the page.  Anyway, here it is.

> hreflang="ja" lang="ja" rel="alternate">日本語</a>

So, I went to add this chunk of code to the pre-existing index.*.html
files, and I ran into something that feels not quite right.
index.en.html claims in a <META> tag that its contents are iso-8859-1.
But of course, that character set don' say nuttin' 'bout no Unicode CJK
characters.  (This apparently hasn't prevented the file from growing
some Chinese Unicode characters already, though.)  At any rate, I think
that UTF-8 should be the claimed character set.  Right?

When I got to the index.it.html file, it didn't have the same Chinese
glyphs in it that the English page did, but instead had the English word
"Chinese".  I'm guessing that's because someone realized there than the
Chinese glyphs wouldn't "fit" in the iso-8859-1 page.

I'm going to switch the English page to UTF-8 now.  I'd encourage other
translation owners to do the same for their sites so that all the site
pages have full access to the glyphs needed to describe the other
translation languages.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton