R: Suggestion on formatting a list in HTML

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Wed Jul 5 15:24:44 CDT 2006

C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> So, it occurs to me that translating all the text in the table to English is
> going to be a headache.  I think as long as the table headers and the
> section names have title="" stuffs, that's cool.  Here's a patch to you
> index.pt_BR.html file that shows what I was talking about in my suggestion.
>  Use it if you wish, but don't feel compelled to do so.
>
> Note that you populate the table in the say way as your patch allows, but
> I've added classes for status states ("bad", "medium", and "good").

Sorry, I forgot to point out (though it might be obvious) that the
don't-bother-translating-all-status-bits-to-English and the
show-general-status-temperature-with-color are, in my mind, related.  Native
readers can parse the details of the status in the table's text.  Others
(like me) can take a quick glance at the colors on the table and see basic
trends:

   "Lots of red" -- not much going on here.
   "Lots of green" -- wow, they're getting close to completion!
   "Greens and yellows in the first column, reds in the second" --
      translation is going well, but they've not done much verification

That kinda stuff.

Make sense?

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton