html documentation is corrupt

Max Bowsher maxb1 at ukf.net
Tue Jun 13 15:31:24 CDT 2006

Chris H. wrote:
> Greetings,
> We're attempting to use Subversion 1.1 as supplied by our OS
> vendor (FreeBSD). After building it from the ports tree. I
> examined the html version (single html file) of the documentation.
> However, it rendered poorly. I opened it up in an editor in
> an attempt to investigate the trouble and attempt to fix it.
> What I found was that it was permiated with embedded high ASCII
> characters - or so it appears. Thinking that it might have
> simply been an anomoly caused by the build process, I went
> to: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ to download what I believed
> would be a properly formatted copy of the same documentation.
> Unfortunately, it too was corrupt. I then downloaded v.1.2
> hoping that the problem had been corrected in a newer version.
> Again, it was also corrupt. I also tried v.1.3; same problem.
> It is not a problem with any of our boxes, as I made these
> attempts with seperate unrelated boxes and different browsers.
> The browsers are all recent versions. I also downloaded it via
> the command line with fetch. All with identical results.
> Were the original documentation converted to html from an
> infected windows word document? Will there be a _clean_ version
> any time soon? It is difficult to correct the documentation in
> it's current state with an editor, as much of the embedded
> garbage is not visible. The only visible portion is the first
> character, which is an accented a (รข). Two characters follow,
> but are not visible.

Sorry, but there is nothing wrong with the documentation.  It is your
browsers which are at fault.

The XHTML files are properly declared and valid UTF-8. If your browser
can't read it, you need a better browser.

> On a side note; Is there a good reason to embed Google's
> advertising in the distributed version of the documentation?

In the 'view online' version?  Yes, it generates a small amount of
well-deserved financial reward for the principal authors of the book.

> It doesn't lend itself to learning Subversion, and in an
> "in house" development environment, it creates alot of
> undesirable noise in the firewall/ pf logs. Not to mention,
> it makes the browser complain that ads.google.com can't be
> found. Seems to consume browser realestate unnessarily too.

If you wish to view the book offline, then you can download the .tar.bz2
archive, which contains all the HTML, CSS, and image files in one
convenient package - and that one doesn't have the embedded adverts, as
is appropriate for material intended for offline usage.

Max.