a small typo in svnbook

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Tue May 2 10:44:59 CDT 2006

Julian Foad wrote:
> Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

>>>The existing text is actually correct;  it's a grammatical detail that
>>>even native speakers sometimes get wrong.  The actual subject of the
>>>sentence is "one", which is singular, so the verb is "prefers".  ("One
>>>prefers...")  The phrase "of those folks" is just a clause which has
>>>no effect on the verb.
>>
>>Thanks for the clarification.
>

> Well, I disagree with Ben's explanation.  In the structure
>
>    "If you're (one of those folks) who prefers to learn ..."
>
> the word "those" has no referent.  (Which folks is "those folks" referring to?)
>   I'd say the intended and logical sentence structure is
>
>    "If you're one of (those folks who prefer to learn ...)"

In moments like these, I typically fire up an editor and eliminate the
contentiuos text altogether:

   If you prefer to learn...

And so I have -- r2136.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton