Minor improvement to svn diff and missing merge information in SVN book (for Subversion 1.3)

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Sat Nov 25 12:05:21 CST 2006

Hi,

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html contains:

<quote>
There's no way to represent changes to trees, such as the addition,
removal, or renaming of files and directories. If Sally's change had,
say, added a new directory, the output of svn diff wouldn't have
mentioned it at all. svn diff only outputs the limited patch-format, so
there are some ideas it simply can't express.
</quote>

Please note that only empty directories are not listed. I first assumed
you mean that svn diff ignores added or deleted files in new directories ...

I also miss an important information related to merge operations.

How does merge operate on copied or moved files? I assume that merge
just applies a new copy or move operation and not a content diff but
this is not described in the book! Example

Assume the following files exist with common anchestry but are not
equal.
trunk/file
branch/file

Now merge a copy operation from trunk

svn cp trunk/file trunk/copy
(revision X)

to branch:

svn merge -r X-1:X trunk

Will branch/file be equal to branch/copy or will
trunk/copy be equal to branch/copy?

Jens