French translation

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Oct 6 23:17:25 CDT 2006

Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm going to migrate our CVS repo to svn at work. I had already used svn
> a bit from the client side. So I recently read some more informations in
> the svn book which I find very well written (congrats to the writters).
>
> I'm thinking about translating, or at least beginning it, the book into
> french, as I'm surprised to see in
> http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/COMMITTERS
> <http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/COMMITTERS> that no french
> version has ever been started :-).
>
> What's the procedure to follow? In fact, I suppose it mainly consists of
> checking out the trunk in english version, copying the en dir to an fr
> one , then starting translating bit by bit. But if there's something
> particular to know about the svnbook translation process, please let me
> know :).
>
> Once started, let's hope that some more french people arrive and help me
> translate those numerous pages :-).
>
> Cheers,
> Baptiste

There's been interest in the past in doing a French translation.  For
example, Daniel Lepage <daniel_lepage at hotmail.com> offered his
assistance in such a task back in June.  You might consider contacting
him to see if he's still able to help.

As for the "how to", generally we advise you to copy not the trunk of
the 'en' version, but the latest tag (so you aren't chasing a moving
target out of the gate).

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton