Chapter 7: Config

Jaap Keuter jaap.keuter at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 18 04:23:43 CDT 2006

Hi list,

I wanted to share an observation about the subversion config file that's
not really clear from the description in the book.

The paragraph dealing with auto-props states that
1. a PATTERN can attach a name and value to a file, and
2. multiple PATTERNs may match a file (through wildcards),
but it fails to state that the PATTERNs need to be unique.

A PATTERN collection like this:
----8<------
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.c = svn:keywords=Id
----8<------
results in only the svn:keywords property attached, while
*.c = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id
results in both properties attached. (tested with svn 1.3.2)

Please add the uniqueness requirement for PATTERNs in the auto-props
paragraph of this fantastic book.

Oh, I'm not on the list so please CC respones to me.

Thanx,
Jaap