svnsync weirdness

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at
Fri Oct 12 12:19:36 CDT 2007

I just noticed something interesting when testing WebDAV proxy stuffs.  In
my configuration, my "master" repository has post-commit and
post-revprop-change hooks which use svnsync to "push" changes to the slave

I initialized the slave repository as a read-only mirror by running the
following on the master server:

   svnsync init http://slave/repos/project file:///repos/project

All works well, and (after Justin E. fixed a bug in our trunk codebase) the
proxy interactions and svnsync-ing seem to work great.  But here's a funny
thing I noticed:  on my slave box is a mirror repository on whose revision 0
is this property name/value:

   svn:sync-from-url : file:///Subversion/test

Interesting that that URL is meaningful (or, at least, correct) only when
interpreted *by the master machine*.  If, for example, I run 'svnsync sync'
on that repository *from the slave machine*, I get the obvious error:

   subversion/libsvn_ra_local/ra_plugin.c:291: (apr_err=180001)
   svnsync: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
   subversion/libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c:125: (apr_err=180001)
   svnsync: Unable to open repository 'file:///Subversion/test'

This doesn't bother me, really.  But it does strike me as something to be
noted in the book, at the very least (hence the CC: of
svnbook-dev at>.

C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at>
CollabNet   <>   <>   Distributed Development On Demand