Running subversion under xinetd

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:40:25 CDT 2007

Hello,
the svnbook contains instructions how to run subversion under inetd
but instructions for using xinetd are missing. Please add the
following information which I tested on my computer:

========================
svnserve via xinetd

xinetd is a replacement of the inet daemon which is used mainly in
Redhat based distributions. In order to configure svnserve for xinetd,
create file /etc/xinetd.d/svn vith the following contents:

# default: on
service svn
{
        disabled                = no
        port                    = 3690
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = subversion
        server                  = /usr/local/bin/svnserve
        server_args             = -i -r /path/to/subversion/repositories
}

Be sure that your /etc/services contains the definition of the prot
for svn as described in the section "svnserve via inetd". Without
proper setting the daemon will not start.

In Redhat based distributions you can issue the command:

chkconfig --add svn

You will then be able to switch the server on and off from the
graphical configuration tools.

Regards,

--
Zdeněk Wagner