Changelist analogy confusing

James Kistruck James.Kistruck at dataconnection.com
Thu Aug 14 10:22:54 CDT 2008

Michael,

Thanks for the response.  I take your point about it being a good
forward-looking analogy if multiple changelists per file will be coming
at some point.  I can't immediately see how to make a pleasant UI for
splitting out multiple changes in the same file when you come to diff or
commit a change, but that's a different problem!

If I can trespass on your time some more, I noticed another instance
where the book has a simple analogy, followed up some paragraphs later
with a comment saying that the analogy isn't right.  In chapter 4, it
explains how after a switch, "your working copy is no different from
what you would get from doing a fresh checkout of the directory".  That
is wrong, of course, because the switch preserves the local changes from
the old branch, and a fresh checkout to a new location wouldn't have
them - something which is pointed out later on in the same section.

In both these cases adding a small rider right up front, such as "plus
your local changes - see later" or "though at the moment you are
restricted to one tag per file" would have helped me.  As it was, I
immediately went back to other parts of the book to check my
understanding before I read on to the bit that explained the limitation
/ clarified the simple statement.

But hey, I haven't written a book, nor am I an editor, so maybe that's
bad style :-)

James.