HELP NEEDED: Final technical review of the Subversion book

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at collab.net
Fri Jun 6 14:32:11 CDT 2008

Dear Subversion Community members:

O'Reilly is planning to ship a second edition of the Version Control with
Subversion book which documents Subversion 1.5.  Ben, Fitz and myself have
been working over the last few months to get the svnbook sources up-to-date
with that release.  Unfortunately, Subversion 1.5 has been a bit fluid over
that same time period, so we're not entirely confident that we've done a
perfect job.  We appeal to you, the members of the Subversion community, for
help.

Karl Fogel recently organized a successful "many-hands" effort to get the
Subversion 1.5 CHANGES file data written, employing willing volunteers who
were each assigned a subset of change review work to be done so that the end
result was full coverage of the necessary changes, minimal overlap amongst
the folks doing the work, and minimal fatigue of any one volunteer.  We'd
like to do the same with the Version Control with Subversion book.

We're looking for volunteers who are willing and able to perform technical
review on a subset of the book.  Ideally, we'd have at least two folks with
relevant knowledge and skills reviewing each section of the book.  The
amount of effort can vary wildly here depending on the number of sections
you wish to review and their contents.  Some sections are shorter than
others, and some have fewer examples to review than others.  But they *all*
need the benefit of extra, fresh eyes on them.

Will you please help us?

We've setup a wiki page for tracking volunteers, with instructions on the
page for how to "claim" a review task and actually perform the review:

     http://www.red-bean.com/rbwiki/OnePointFiveTechReview

(You'll have to register for a username before editing the wiki page.  See
http://www.red-bean.com/rbwiki/UserPreferences)

We need to have the source delivered to O'Reilly by June 16, and we'll need
some time to respond to your review feedback.  So, if you are willing able
to commit yourself to devoting some time to this task between now and, say,
Friday, June 13, please hit the wiki page above, claim some sections, and
start reading ASAP.  Just to clarify, we are requesting *technical* review
only.  It's a bit late in the game to undertake matters of style and tone
unless those are seriously affecting how the book is interpreted at a
technical level.

(And of course, we welcome review and feedback from anyone at all, even
those who aren't willing or able to *commit* to such a review over this next
week.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this task.  We're excited to be
wrapping this writing project up!

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at collab.net>