[svnbook commit] r3094 - trunk/src/en/book

Peter Lloyd l-svndev at pgl22.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 10:45:27 CDT 2008

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sussman wrote:
> Author: sussman
> Date: Sun Jun  1 10:01:44 2008
> New Revision: 3094
>
> Modified: trunk/src/en/book/ch06-server-configuration.xml
> [paint:/projects/paint]
> - at paint-developers = rw
> jane = r
> + at paint-developers = rw
> </screen>
>
> +    <para>Another important fact is that
> +    the <emphasis>first</emphasis> matching rule is the one which gets
> +    applied to a user.  In the prior example, even though Jane is a
> +    member of the <literal>paint-developers</literal> group (which has
> +    read-write access), the <literal>jane = r</literal> rule will be
> +    discovered and matched before the group rule, thus denying Jane
> +    write access.</para>
> +

Hi,

I'm not sure that this is correct. I tried with a small authz file, and
the order of the lines within a section didn't appear to matter.

Instead, the user seemed to always get the *most* permissive rights
assigned to them in a section. I couldn't reduce rights via a specific
user= line, but only increase them!

I had a look at subversion/libsvn_repos/authz.c, and I reckon what
is happening is this:

svn_config_enumerate2 is calling authz_parse_line multiple times.
authz_parse line never returns FALSE, so it always keeps going.
So, after it has parsed the whole section, in the authz baton there will
be
  b->allow = svn_authz_read & svn_authz_write   (from the group=rw)
  b->deny = svn_authz_write                     (from jane=r)

Then, based on this:
authz_access_is_determined returns TRUE and
authz_access_is_granted returns TRUE, for an attempted write.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Peter