[SvnBook] #97: ch04: svn merge --record-only option not explained in the book.

SvnBook noreply at red-bean.com
Mon Mar 31 22:50:20 CDT 2008

#97: ch04: svn merge --record-only option not explained in the book.
  Reporter:  khmarbaise  |       Owner:  sussman
      Type:  defect      |      Status:  new
 Component:  content     |     Version:  nightly/trunk
Resolution:              |    Keywords:
Changes (by cmpilato):

  * version:  => nightly/trunk

 I '''strongly suggest''' that we avoid advising users to manually edit the
 svn:mergeinfo property.  Besides the obvious issues of folks screwing up
 the syntax of the property, there are more complex issues.  The
 svn:mergeinfo property, when managed by Subversion, is normalized in such
 a way that it only contains ''real'' repository filesystem path/rev
 locations.  This is crucial to tracking renames successfully in the face
 of renamed branches, branches of branches, etc.  'svn merge --record-only'
 deals with these scenarios correctly.

Ticket URL: <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/trac/ticket/97#comment:3>
SvnBook <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/>