[svnbook commit] r3043 - trunk/src/en

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri May 2 09:32:32 CDT 2008

fitz wrote:
> Author: fitz
> Date: Fri May  2 07:04:00 2008
> New Revision: 3043
>
> Log:
> Update our style guide to reflect the wishes of the O'Reilly
> copyeditors (and besides, it makes the markeup a *little* easier to
> read.

Whoa, whoa!  We must have had different editors, because mine (correctly, in
my opinion) marked up *every time* that I grouped the long and short options
in one tag, complaining about the fact that the space between them got
rendered in a fixed-width font.

Actually, I'm looking at the copyedit pages now, and I see no indications
from the editors that this was something you should have changed.  Whoever
edited chapter 2 seemed not to care about formatting of this sort (we have
examples of both ways in the version O'Reilly edited).

Sorry, Fitz, but unless there is a good reason for you to have made this
change, I'm -1 on it and the tweak to HACKING.  Plunking your "wow to write
useful markup" hat on, it becomes clear that the option names are not "--foo
(-f)", but "--foo" and "-f".  Our markup should reflect that.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
  been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton