performance tuning notes

Dan Christian dchristian at google.com
Wed May 7 11:50:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman
<sussman at red-bean.com> wrote:
> It's not entirely clear that super-specific performance tuning has a
>  place in a general reference manual;  that said, we should take a look
>  at it and see.  :-)

I wouldn't call it super-specific.  The concepts are quite general (if
you've done high performance server tuning before), but turning it
into OS settings is non-trivial (to say the least).

I may be wrong, but I couldn't find any performance tuning discussion
in the book.  It really stops at svnserver vs. DAV and FSFS vs. BDB.
svn-1.5 is adding a couple features specifically to help performance,
but they are currently only mentioned in the release notes.

The current text could be stripped of OS specifics if that helps.  It
would still give the reader some idea of what to look for and what
searches to find the specifics.

> Can you put your plain text content into a new
>  trac issue?  (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/trac)

I couldn't figure out how to do that.  Do you have to be logged in to
open a new issue?

>  We're inches away from releasing the svn 1.5 book to O'Reilly, to
>  print as a 2nd edition.

Ah, I didn't know it was so close.

-Dan C