Error in the Appendix A of the SVN Book

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Thu Sep 18 13:56:56 CDT 2008

Alex Zavatone wrote:
> Failure in the instructions of the quickstart.  Tested on a mac G5 under
> OS X 10.5.4.
>
> Text from pg 325 and from
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html#svn.intro:
>
> -----
>
> Subversion stores all versioned data in a central repository. To begin,
> create a new repository:
>
> $ svnadmin create /path/to/repos
> $ ls /path/to/repos
>
> ----
>
> The "svnadmin create /path/to/repos" command will fail if that directory
> does not already exist.  This took me forever to find out.
> The book needs an explanation of what to do if the create command fails.

Technically, 'svnadmin create /path/to/repos' will fail if /path/to doesn't
already exist.  Sadly, I don't think the error you get back from 'svnadmin'
reveals that handy bit of information.

Thanks for the report.  We'll see what we can do.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/