Issue 78 in svnbook: A fuller explanation of '--depth ARG' in section 'svn Options' would be useful

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Tue Apr 20 00:40:35 CDT 2010

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium

New issue 78 by chr... at lavabit.com: A fuller explanation of '--depth ARG'
in section 'svn Options' would be useful
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=78

Currently it reads:
     --depth ARG
     Instructs Subversion to limit the scope of an operation to a particular
tree depth.
     ARG is one of empty, files, immedi-ates, or infinity.

The source code file svn_types.h has this more useful info:

   /* Just the named directory D, no entries.  Updates will not pull in
      any files or subdirectories not already present. */
   svn_depth_empty      =  0,

   /* D + its file children, but not subdirs.  Updates will pull in any
      files not already present, but not subdirectories. */
   svn_depth_files      =  1,

   /* D + immediate children (D and its entries).  Updates will pull in
      any files or subdirectories not already present; those
      subdirectories' this_dir entries will have depth-empty. */
   svn_depth_immediates =  2,

   /* D + all descendants (full recursion from D).  Updates will pull
      in any files or subdirectories not already present; those
      subdirectories' this_dir entries will have depth-infinity.
      Equivalent to the pre-1.5 default update behavior. */
   svn_depth_infinity   =  3

Further it appears that the 'obsolete' --recursive/--non-recursive options
map to different values
dependant on the sub-command. E.g. update => infinity or files, status =>
infinity or immediates.
The description of each sub-command should state explicitly what mapping it
uses.
[The output from `svn help <cmd>` is also ambiguous with regard to this.]

[I would be willing to make an exhaustive list of the mappings if it's
going to be
  used to update the book, but I won't if I'd just be wasting my time.]