First steps into subversion

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at
Sun Jan 23 06:15:03 CST 2011

Op zondag 23 jan 2011 06:50 CET schreef C. Michael Pilato:

>> You start with the command:
>> svnadmin create /var/svn/repos
>> I think it would be an good idea to mention that /var/svn should
>> exist.
> You're not alone in this -- see

That describes perfectly what I mend.

One other point. It would properly be a good idea to mention that the
directory could be better something else depending your system. For
example I am working with openSuse and this expects repos to be at:

So then you need not the 'svnadmin create' command and the other
commands should use this directory instead of the directory you use in
your book.

>> As I understand now: if I want to have a directory in svn and edit it.
>> I check it in, delete the directory and then do a checkout. Or do I
>> understand something not correctly?
> If this question pertains to the book, you might need to rephrase it --
> perhaps point out the book section that you're having difficulty understanding.
> If, on the other hand, this is a general question about Subversion, please
> re-ask it on the appropriate mailing list: users at

I'll do that.

Decebal Computing
Voor uw ICT oplossingen

Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
M Cecil at

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail -

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.
Send OpenDocument instead!