re-rolling PDFs and HTML archives of version "1.6" of book withot changing file names

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 31 13:53:57 CDT 2011

Hello, C..
You wrote 31 октября 2011 г., 21:22:40:

> I'm not a FreeBSD user, so I confess ignorance of the types of problems that
> your users are seeing.  Where do size and checksum comparisons and
> validations come into play in the process of viewing documentation?
  When user installs port from sources (or build server builds binary
package for users, who prefer to install pre-build packages), system
download all needed distribution files (sources, documentation, etc.
-- it depends on software in question, of course) and compare sizes and
SHA256 checksums of downloading files with recorded in FreeBSD
software database ("ports system") to ensure, that:
  (a) there is no download errors
  (b) files are no hijacked (as hijacked sources could contain
      backdoors, etc).

  Documentation (if it is not included in source tarball) is
downloaded & checked as any other source files. There is no special
exclusions/exceptions for documentation.

  So, if user wants to install subversion AND subversion book (book is
optional, as many experienced users don't need it), book files (PDF
and tatball with HTML version) are downloaded and checked.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>